August 28:

Today, let’s talk about hidden disabilities. I have a friend who has hidden disabilities and chronic fatigue. He’s pretty much allergic to everything and not like sneezing or watery eyes, his allergies can be fatal. I think the hardest thing is that his diagnosis is kind of new and rare so doctors don’t know how to help and he has been fighting Medicaid to get benefits for years!


I recently listened to a podcast with a professional rock climber whose life has been turned upside down because of chronic fatigue syndrome. At his worst he said he had to sleep 22 hours a day! He felt so bad all he could do was stay in bed. Western medicine doesn’t really help him so of course, insurance doesn’t help.


Another hidden disability can be MS. I’m on a Facebook support group for people with disabilities. One of the members posted a poem he had written which I will share with you.

No one sees the Pills,
No one sees the Meds,
No one sees how many times a day i need to go to bed.
No one sees me fall,
No one sees me ache,
No one sees my spasms or sees my body shake.
All this is hidden,
Its not something your eyes just see,
There's not many people who can see my disability.
The smile on my face,
Is hiding all my hurt,
Its hiding all the pain,
Still if someone asks,
I just tell them I'm OK.
The electric shocks,
The burning on my skin,
All of the trouble going on deep within,
NO ONE
Sees how much I'm really struggling.
Trying to describe it,
Is to difficult to explain,
I find it to hard to understand!
It drives me completey insane....
I know I am not alone,
There is so many people like me,
Living life as normal as we can,
Whilst fighting a hidden disability.
Robert Gillett
Like-Follow-Share
You and 61 others
18 Comments
Like
Comment

Comments

Popular Posts