August 31:

I’m always hurting myself trying to do something by myself instead of waiting for someone to help. Since I’m not paralyzed, I’m always kind of pushing my mobility limits. This past weekend I did that with cleaning.  My apartment has tile floors that I feel like are never clean. Before I moved in, I was showing pictures of my place to a friend and she said “why no carpet? Oh right, carpet is like quicksand for wheelchairs”. I like that, carpet is like quicksand for wheelchairs. 


Anyway, I have a spin mop but I feel like it never gets the floors super clean. So I got out of my chair, not an easy task, and I scrubbed the kitchen floor. I felt like Cinderella! After that I did laundry. I use my power chair for that so my hands are free to carry the laundry basket. So, I’m leaning into the dryer to grab clothes to fold and my chair starts to tip! Luckily, I sat back real quick so my chair went back to normal. A power chair is super heavy, it was surprising to feel the chair tip. The day before, I was leaning over in the same power chair pulling weeds at the center for people with disabilities!


Just thought I would share so people realize that doing simple tasks can be dangerous for people with disabilities.


Comments

Popular Posts