Little things that make life difficult


My doctor diagnosed me with a sinus infection so he prescribed me antibiotics. My mom picked them up for me and opened the bottle for me. Since I have a feeding tube, all my meds need to be liquid or crushable. This means that many times the pharmacy must mix drugs for me. This was the case with my antibiotics. My mom picked up three bottles for me to use and she opened the first one for me. Well I went to open the second bottle and realized that there was a topper on the bottle and without removing it, the medicine would not come out. Here I was at 7 am trying to get medicine but couldn’t pull the topper off! I live alone so I had nobody to help me! A friend came over later and opened it for me but since most meds require you to take them at the same time each day, I missed my dosage time.


Unfortunately, this happens a lot. Many child-proof bottles are hard for me to open. There’s nothing worse than feeling bad and not being able to open the medicine that should make you feel better.


This is also a problem with clothing. Buttons are hard for me so I avoid pants without elastic waistbands. Thanks to my feeding tube I can’t wear jumpsuits as I need access to my stomach. Since I’m always in a chair, my pants always creep low when I transfer out of a car.


Things you never think of can be quite challenging. These little things create obstacles you wouldn’t think of.

Comments

  1. I know those bottles can be difficult, they're not just child-proof, but often elderly proof as well. Here you are, not a child, not elderly, but with your own valid reason to not need the child-proof bottles. I hate that shit is doubly difficult for you: being able to get what you need is one hurdle, but then prepping meds, treatments, fuel/food... obviously dexterous assistance is needed. I know you advocate well for yourself, and you've got a great crew & neighbors there--- but I still wish I could just zip over to you once a week and do shit WITH & for you. Love you from the 'Ta

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts