Positive things about being disabled

 I realize that I sound like a negative Nancy so thought I would share the good things that I have discovered about being disabled. First off, I always have a chair. I never worry about finding a seat.

I was shopping with my cousin and she commented on how nice it was how everyone moves out of the way when they see a wheelchair. Usually, people are super nice and helpful to a lot girl in a wheelchair. People also seem to give me free stuff since I’m in a wheelchair. Twice at festivals, retailers have given me free products or a discount just because of my wheelchair. 

Usually at museums, whoever is with me gets in free because they push my chair, this is also true when I ride the bus.

Of course, I must mention parking. There’s usually reserved parking up front for people with disabilities. Also, handicap seats are rarely sold out at shows.

Lastly, power chairs are awesome! A friend of mine did a Go Fund Me where people donated so I could purchase an off-road wheelchair called The Rig. It’s made with electric bike parts and has big wheels made for off roading. I call it my go cart.

I must also mention that my disability qualifies me for low income housing. I live in downtown Boulder surrounded by million dollar homes. I like to say that I only had to become disabled to afford Boulder living! 

Comments

Popular Posts