Bodies change, worth doesn’t

 Becoming  disabled, really destroyed my self esteem. Having your husband leave, only made it worse.

I used to love to dance. I was that girl who would dance at the table or corner when appropriate. I love music. Especially lyrics. As a kid, I would make up little performances to act out the meaning.  Basically, music videos for all kinds of songs.

I also would play at our neighborhood creek for hours. Always making little homes for myself.

I was thinking about that yesterday, when it occurred to me that, I can’t do that anymore because of my wheelchair. I often forget that I’m disabled. Weird, I know. Recently, my friend hosted a skating party. Immediately, I thought, that would be fun. I totally forgot I couldn’t skate!

Luckily, my childhood friend Heidi, is now a photographer and does Boudoir photos. Basically glamour  shots in lingerie. So I got in touch with Heidi and told her that I want to show that women with a disability can still be sexy. Heidi loved the idea since she promotes self love. The title of this post is a quote from her Facebook site.

So I did a Boudoir photo shoot. I’m so glad that I did.  Not only was it fun, think dress up and pictures, it did wonders for my self esteem. I felt glamorous and Heidi’s kind words made me feel like a supermodel.

My body has changed a lot and it was hard for me to accept. The quote, Bodies change, worth doesn’t, made me remember that I’m still me.

I’m sure I will always have self esteem issues. At least, I’m starting to accept my self and life’s twists and turns.

To view Heidi’s work, check out:  www.heidishoefflerphotography.com

Comments

Popular Posts