Dave Matthews Concert

 I was lucky to go see the Dave Matthews Band at Fiddlers Green Amphitheater earlier this month. I’m wearing my concert tee as I write this.  I LOVE Dave, I have seen him live 13 times. DMB, Radiohead and Tori Amos are my trinity.

I was supposed to see DMB in Buffalo 2013 when I relapsed. The day of this year’s show was weird for me. I went to the show with my best friend Melanie. We saw them together in Dallas before I relapsed. She told me that she was afraid that would be our last show together. We decided this year’s show would be a celebration of life and that we would always go to a DMB show whenever he comes to Colorado.

It truly was a celebration of life for me. It was my first DMB concert in nine years! I danced the night away. There was a guard rail in front of our seats, so I was able to lean against it to stand and dance. Mel video taped me dancing which I will upload for you. It felt like I was dancing faster but after watching the video, I can see that I was concentrating on not falling. I could only stand for a few songs as it was exhausting. After that I danced in my wheelchair.

I will say that navigating through a drunk crowd in my power chair was difficult. Being in a chair surrounded by people standing makes you claustrophobic. After going through the crowd, I would have to take a break and de -stress. There was one ramp at the venue that was super long and narrow. I know a few people who would not have been able to navigate the ramp without hitting the side walls!  

All and all it was a great concert. I’m happy to show people that a girl in a wheelchair can go to a concert.




Comments

Popular Posts