Transitions from a nursing home into the community

 I used to live in a nursing home until Colorado Choice Transitions and the Center for People with Disabilities helped me move into my own apartment in the community. Luckily, I moved before the Covid pandemic. Covid showed the world that congregate living was very dangerous in a pandemic. Even before Covid, I have been promoting independent living. This lead me to become a council member on Colorado’s transition advisory board. 

The board meets once a month to discuss how to transition more people into independent living. Today’s topic was the problem of trying to transition members into the community when services are delayed. By services, I mean home health care, homemakers and personal care attendants. I have CNAs that come to my house four days a week and a homemaker one day a week. The CNAs help me walk with a walker, make my bed, fill my humidifiers and clean my food bottles. The homemaker does my laundry and housework. I would not be able to live independently without them. The Center for People with Disabilities, found affordable housing for me and set up my apartment. I literally went from the nursing home and moved into my apartment without lifting a finger.

Unfortunately, there’s a major shortage of home health care workers. Just this month my CNA agency closed and I had to transition to another company. My transition went smoothly but I know others who are struggling to find caregivers.

On today’s call, several transition coordinators raised concerns over people transitioning into the community without services in place. This is a dangerous problem and many transitions have been canceled due to the lack of services.

I don’t have a solution, just want to spread awareness of this problem.

Comments

Popular Posts