Broken feeding tube

 Last evening my feeding tube broke. It’s still in my stomach but the locking mechanism came off. Meaning it won’t close and the feeding extension won’t click in to place. Luckily, my housekeeper was here when it happened so she used medical tape to close it. It was cute because her 2 year old granddaughter was here and wanted tape on her stomach so she could be like me! Kids, I love their innocence.

The problem is that in order to do another feed, I needed to remove the tape and wouldn’t have my housekeeper here to tape it closed. If my feeding tube isn’t closed, food and stomach acid will pour out. Waking up covered in food and stomach acid is not pleasant! My motor skills suck so trying to tape it closed myself is not easy. The tape kept coming off when I tried to sleep! Eventually I stuck my feeding extension in the tube entrance and taped that down! Now I have a six inch tube taped to my stomach!

I feel like this stuff always happens on the weekends when doctors offices are closed! Plus I’ve learned that really only a GI doctor knows what to do with a feeding tube. Also, getting a new feeding tube is not easy. Once I get one I have to schedule the procedure to have it placed in my stomach. So I expect to have a taped tube for awhile.

Unfortunately, this will probably put a stop to horseback riding. I get off the horse by sliding down which rubs against my feeding tube which will pull the tape off. It is so annoying, dealing with these problems!



Comments

Popular Posts