Non health issues that people with disabilities face

 Being disabled affects more than health. It causes issues in so many other ways.

Having become disabled later in life, I have two perceptions. The perception of an able body and one of a disabled body. I’m not able to drive due to my disability. Today, I went for a haircut so I booked an access-a-ride to take me. Access-a-ride requires passengers to book at least a day in advance but they close at 5:00 so it’s best to call early to avoid being on hold forever. Also when booking, they give you a thirty minute pick up window. The pickup and drop off time must be an hour apart. If you’re not ready when they arrive you will be left. If you need to change pick up time the day of, most likely your trip will be canceled. 


For today, my haircut was at 1:05, but the driver dropped me off at 12:45. It takes 30 minutes for my hair but I had to schedule a pick up at 2:00 because of their requirement. Since they do pick up windows of 30 minutes, I wasn’t picked up until 2:30. Once I was picked up, I had to ride along while they picked up another passenger. I got home at 3:00. A half hour haircut becomes a 3 hour ordeal because my disability prohibits me from driving.


I have to always make sure I have easy access to my feeding tube which is in my stomach. This means no pant-suits and dresses can be difficult if I don’t want to show my underwear while feeding! 


Not being able to swallow puts a damper on meeting friends at restaurants or coffee houses.


Being disabled makes it hard to date. I am single and have learned that people see my wheelchair before they see me. I’m usually ignored because of my wheelchair or pitied for my disability.


Having lived most of my life able bodied, disability road blocks tend to bother me a lot.


Comments

Popular Posts