Independent living speech

 Last week, I was honored to speak about independent living for the Center for People with Disabilities (CPWD) at their 45th anniversary party. It’s pretty amazing how they have been helping people with disabilities 15 years before the ADA was signed into law.

Because of CPWD, I have lived independently in my own apartment for 4 years. It’s my goal to help others with disabilities to do the same. I  now pay less than half of the monthly rent that I paid to the nursing home. When living on disability, money is tight, now I can spend money on fun things instead of just rent.

Living independently is only possible because of caregivers. My caregiver, Anita, visits five days a week to help with laundry and house hold chores. She’s also become a trainer helping me walk with a walker and help me with building strength. The best thing is that she has become like family. Always making sure I feel safe and happy.

I have a video of my speech but it’s too big to post here. Email me if you want me to send it to you.






Comments

Popular Posts