Updates

 I have been wanting to write several posts but I don’t have as much free time as I used to. Being Ms. Wheelchair Colorado 2023, definitely keeps me busy! So here’s a summary of what I’ve been up to.

The Lockwood Foundation: An amazing group of volunteers lead by Jeffrey Lockwood, make it possible for wheelchair users to get outside and enjoy a hike! Something wheelchair users didn’t think was possible. I became a wheelchair user in my thirties and growing up, I would hike and rock climb all the time. Loosing that was devastating.

Luckily, Jeffrey Lockwood had a mission to bring that back for wheelchair users. Through fundraising, he was able to purchase a trail rider chair (pictured below). He organized a group of volunteers who carry the chair and rider through trails! With so much manual labor required, a group of volunteers work together and alternate positions as needed. The trail rider is like a wheelbarrow with a volunteer pulling in the front with another volunteer making sure that the rider is level pushing from the back.

I was fortunate to meet up with Chris Layne, Ms. Wheelchair Colorado 2020/2021 and Hannah Rarick, Ms. Wheelchair Oregon 2023 to ride in the trail rider. Ms. Wheelchair Oregon 2023 grew up in Gunbarrel, Colorado and was in town visiting family.

One rider goes on a 30 minute hike, while others wait at base camp at the trail head. We met at the NCAR trail in Boulder. The day was magical, even hanging out at base camp was fun!

Jeffrey gave us all new carabiners a company was trying out meant to attach to your wheelchair to hold keys or whatever. I wear mine as a bracelet to remind me of the goodness of people and the fact that I got to hike! It truly was an amazing emotional experience that I will cherish forever.

I also got to participate in Direct Care Workers Appreciation Week at the Colorado State Capitol! Throughout this legislative session I have been working with Colorado Care Workers Unite and the Direct Care Workers Collaborative to raise awareness about how important direct care workers are.We have been lobbying for the Direct Care workforce stabilization act SB23-261. A yes vote would be the first step towards fixing the broken home health system.

The DCW collaborative was able to get Colorado Governor Jared Polis to sign a proclamation declaring that April 2 - 8 as Direct Care Workers appreciation week! On April 4, 2023, Senator Ganal read a tribute to Colorado Direct Care Workers and allowed us to sit on the senate floor while being honored. Such an amazing and important opportunity.

Lastly, I got a new, bigger bed! For years I’ve wanted a bigger bed. My body needs a bigger bed so I can stretch out. I also need to have a bed that can raise the head, so I can sleep without choking. Since I am unable to swallow, I can’t lay completely flat.

Jenny, a friend of my mom was getting rid of a queen size electric elevating bed! She donated the bed to me., which is awesome. THANK YOU JENNY! Last night was my first night in my new bed. It was amazing, it’s funny how much a new bed can make you happy! Every time I woke up during the night I would say, what?! I have had a permanent smile on my face ever since.

The last few weeks have been wonderful, a trend that I hope will continue.









Comments

Popular Posts