August 30:

I posted a link to the blog on my Facebook support group for people with disabilities. I received this comment, “what life? It caused you to be poor.”. So I will now address what many call, Forced Poverty. In order to receive Medicaid benefits, you can not have more than $2,000 in your bank account. Medicaid requires that you provide a copy of your bank statement once a year to keep your benefits.


This infuriated me when going through the divorce. I was living in a nursing home at the time when I was informed that any alimony I received would go directly to the nursing home! In order to stop this from happening, I had to set up a disability trust and have any settlement or alimony go directly to the trust. The trust is a state fund, so when I die, whatever is left will go to the state. Furthermore, even though it’s my money, I can’t have direct access to the funds. I must ask for permission to use the funds and supply receipts as proof of how the funds are used. Cash disbursements are not allowed.


I’m lucky because I have a feeding tube, I don’t need to spend money on food. I also live in low income housing so my rent is pretty cheap. Just today, I had to recertify so I can continue to live here. I have to prove that I qualify for low income housing. Again, I’m required to share my bank statement, the current value of the trust and provide a social security benefits letter that shows I receive disability benefits. So much for privacy!


There are always attempts to change the forced poverty issue. Just recently, Colorado Cross Disability Coalition, lobbied for and received approval for a Medicaid buy in program so people can have a career and pay to keep their benefits. Colorado really has been essential to the disability movement. I’m proud to live in a state that fights for disability rights.


Comments

Popular Posts